Monday, October 18, 2010

A slice of Pie and All of the Above.












So it has been over 3 weeks since my last entry.  I have found that studio time isn't necessarily happening, but I am still creating.  I have not been able to work on the fine art that I intend to work on.  It has been more practical ways of creating.  Within these three weeks I made all kinds of different things.

First I made my best friend a gift for her shower which entailed me making an asian Mai Tai baby sling, a pouch for it to go in, two pairs of baby shoes and a pouch for them.  I really enjoyed sewing and trying something new.  It turns out the the shoes were a hit at the shower and I already have orders to make some for people! 

Then I was asked to make posters for my kids school open house.  I don't do much to contribute to my children's schools, but whenever there is an artistic need I am on it.  It is nice to serve in a way where I can use my gifts and passions. 

Lastly, I made my son some artwork for his walls in his bedroom.  He has a cowboy themed bedroom and the walls were bare so I decided to make him some art to fill them.  I made fabric panels that have different silhouettes from different fabric sewn onto them... a cowboy and cowboys riding horses.  He was thrilled that I made them for him and he appreciated them so much.  The look on his face was worth a hundred hours in my studio. 

My creating seems very practical at this stage, but I am trying to notice what I am doing as part of my life as an artist, even if it is not truly what I have envisioned.  I know I will eventually get there, but I am not willing to sacrifice doing these other kinds of artistic things to do so.  This week I know I will be making a costume for my oldest son for Halloween.  He is supposed to team up with a friend and their costumes have to go together.  He is in love with pie, so he wants to be a slice of pie and his friend is going to be a fork!  So off to the fabric store I go today to figure out the beginnings of a pie.  This is my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment